Friday, June 6, 2014

One of Those Days...

Today was one of those days where everything seemed to go wrong at first, but it somehow ended up being amazing.  It started off with a rough night.  Riella's allergies started acting up fierce.  She looked miserable.  It was so sad.  I looked and felt about the same as her.
Last night before bed.  :-(

I took a Benadryl and conked out.  I remembered this morning that I had planned to make a dessert the church needed for a funeral last night.  I ended up making two cakes this morning.  I finished baking them and loading them in the van and went back inside to get Riella.  When I came back out I saw this.  

Apparently Camden decided to get in the van on the opposite side and walked all over the cakes ruining them.  After having a minor meltdown I cleaned up the mess, finished loading kids, and went to pick up my cousin Lindsay.  She stayed in the van with the kids while I ran into Marsh to buy a new dessert and drop it off at church.  We finally made it to our destination of the day....the strawberry patch!


Cam picked for about 5-10 minutes and then climbed back in the van where he ate the ones we had already picked and tried to hide the evidence by pushing it out the small window in the back.  Let's just say it didn't work very well.  

Riella stayed in her seat most of the time and let us pick.  I gave her some Benadryl this morning too and she had dried up quite a bit by this point.  Yay! Lindsay was a huge help and we managed to pick 12 quarts!

Ryker was a very slow picker because he was hunting for perfect berries.  He did work the entire time though.

Up next was a trip to the vet with Tucker.  He has a hemotoma on his ear and needed to be seen right away.  I couldn't find anyone on such short notice for the kids so I dragged all three kids and the dog to the office.  Thankfully, the vet was super patient and didn't mind the chaos I brought along with me.  He kept Tucker there for surgery.

We headed home and started working on strawberry jam.  Camden and Riella went down for naps and Ryker helped me wash and cut the berries. While we worked we talked about different Bible stories.  We talked about how Adam and Eve sinned just like we do and that's why we need Jesus and the way he makes for us to get to heaven.  I explained that getting to heaven was as easy as saying a simple prayer.  I highlighted the things to say in the prayer and he said he wanted to say it.  We knelt down on the kitchen floor and he repeated the prayer after me.  I may have shed a tear or two.  

This was by far the best parenting moment I've experienced so far.  I'm so happy for my boy and pray that his faith continues to grow and that we can foster and encourage it.

Lindsay came back over this afternoon and helped with the jam.  It was a long night, but by 11:30 we were finally done and had made 66 containers of jam and a shortcake we enjoyed with strawberries and ice cream.  Delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment