Sunday, May 4, 2014

Robert Runs a Marathon!

Race time was early.  The alarm went off even earlier.  I was so anxious for Robert the night before that I tossed and turned.  Cam didn't sleep well either.  He fell out of bed twice.  It was not a restful night for us.  Thankfully, Robert sleeps like the dead and never woke up.  Our hotel was right on the course so he was able to hop a shuttle to the start line.

Ryker woke up while I was getting ready super early and finished up his sign.  He wanted it to have lightning bolts because he says Daddy is faster than lightning.  :-)

I got the boys ready, grabbed Riella out of the pack n play and walked over to the race course. Our hotel was near the 3 mile point where they went on the bridge to cross the river.  We were there as they rounded the corner.  We didn't see Robert but cheered on everyone else for a while before heading back in to feed Riella and pack up.


Packing up a hotel room and getting everything downstairs in one trip with three kids by yourself is quite an adventure.  These two thought the baggage cart was a blast.

We packed up the van and headed to another spot along the course around the 16.5 mile point.  Riella's early morning caught up with her and she was ready for a nap!

These two were hilarious!

We saw Robert right before I took this.  The boys were so excited to finally see him.

We hung out there for a bit before packing up and trying to find a new spot where we might see him.

The next stop was around the 22 mile point.  I had just unpacked everything and loaded the boys in the stroller and gotten Riella in the Moby wrap when some guy made me move the van across the street.  By the time I unloaded everybody and we got there, I'm afraid we missed Robert.  :-(

We stayed for quite a while just to make sure we weren't missing him, but eventually headed back for the van and started driving toward the finish line.  They finish near the Great American Ball Park, so I knew parking would be an issue.  I drove around for quite a while trying to find a place that didn't cost $12.  Eventually I found an empty spot with a meter and took. When I tried to pay I realized it was free.  Score!  We booked it as fast as possible to the finish line but didn't make it in time to see him cross.  I tried calling his phone to see where he was but it had died during the race.  Thankfully, he borrowed someone else's and texted me where to meet him. 

We found him resting on the sidewalk.  Cam wanted to leap on him right away.  It was hard to explain that it wasn't a good idea.

We stopped for some pictures on the way back to the van.

I am so proud of Robert!  He set this goal, trained for it with dedication, and achieved it.  

It wasn't long before these two passed out. 

Kate's mom lives just south of Cincinnati in Kentucky.  We grabbed some lunch and headed there so Robert could shower and stretch his legs for a while.  Kate did some of Riell'as 6 month pictures while we were there too. Bonus!


We headed home in the late afternoon after Robert had a chance to eat, shower, and nap for a bit.  The drive home went great and we were all ready for an early bedtime!

No comments:

Post a Comment