Saturday, May 3, 2014

Cincinnati!

Robert is running his first marathon tomorrow in Cincinnati.  We decided to make a family weekend of the occasion.  Mom and Dad drove down and Dave and Kate drove up and we all met at the zoo.  Robert and I hadn't been to this zoo since 2006!  The kids had never been.  Kate has a membership though and was able to get the kids in free and served as our tour guide for the day.  It was great! Robert had to pick up his packet for the race and check in to the hotel, so he just dropped us off and went to do that stuff.  He drove the course and had lunch before meeting up with us.  The zoo is very hilly and he didn't want to walk all day and wear his legs out before the big race tomorrow.  Good thing too, because I can attest to being sore now because of it.  We got there shortly after they opened and stayed until they closed.  It is such an amazing zoo and I'm hoping to go back again this summer at least once.  There is so much to see!
I finished up the shirts for me and the kids to wear for the race late Friday night.

We were up and out on the road a little behind schedule this morning, but not too bad considering the things that popped up. (Riella pooping all over her crib requiring a bath, etc. and the dog refusing to come back in until I, and only I would do apparently, went out and called for him.)

Finally, we arrived.  The boys thought this huge rhino was way too cool.  

Waiting in line to see the 5 day old giraffe with Kate.


This isn't the baby (he was too hard to get a picture of), but this one is pretty too.


Next up was a train ride.  I love that members get to ride the train and carousel free.  I wish Indy's zoo did that too.  These boys loved it!

The jungle area had a bunch of activities you could try.  They were all things monkeys either did really well or struggled with.  This rope swinging course was hilarious.  I couldn't believe how many adults tried.  It was great people watching.  Tying shoes without your thumbs was fun too.  I whooped my brother in that activity.  hehe
Cam did so well with this one.  These bamboo shoots moved around and you had to try to climb them.  His physical skills never to cease to amaze me.  


The peacocks at this zoo roam free.  This one was eating crackers that people were throwing it.  It was crazy to see it just walking around.  It's tail feathers are so long, you had to watch out when it turned around.  Or, in my case, make sure to duck when it decides to fly off.  It took off for the roof behind me and flew right over my head.  Had I not ducked it would have for sure hit me.  Scared me half to death!

We stood in line for a while and he picked out which animal he wanted.  He really wanted the eagle, but it was gone quick, so he settled for the wolf.  He was still pretty happy about it.

Cam was just happy to ride!
Clearly Ryker was too!  Kate took this one and sent it to me.  Cracked me up!
Just to prove Riella was indeed there.  ;-) Kate took this one.  

Robert and I took the boys into the bug exhibit while everyone else waited outside.  This may have been Ryker's favorite part of the day.  He would've spent an hour in there if we'd have let him.

Same spot we stopped at in the morning, but this time with everyone on the way out.  What a fun day!

We all went to dinner at Champps afterwards.  The babies were so good!

Next up was a quick stop at IKEA!

We headed back to the hotel around 8:00.  We thought the kids would fall asleep right away after the busy day we had.  Not so much!  They thought the "apartment" (as Ryker was calling the hotel room) was way too much fun to just fall asleep.  We finally got them calmed down and in bed with a movie.  Robert and I were trying to prepare everything for the next day and discuss plans.  We finally all fell asleep around 10:30.  It was a long day!

No comments:

Post a Comment