Thursday, August 29, 2013

Breaking That Paci Habit

We've been attempting to wean Cam from his paci for months now, but it has been easier said than done.  At 15 months I had Ryker down to just naptime and bedtime.  Camden has been an entirely different story though.  He's much more of a screamer (mad screamer, happy screamer, sad screamer, etc.) than Ryker ever was.  So, in order to preserve my sanity and those around us, we gave in and let him have it pretty often.  I've been getting fed up with it lately and really wanted to break the habit before his sister arrives.  I was hoping to do it early enough he will forget he ever had one and not revert back when he sees his sister with a paci.  So, I randomly decided to just take it away one day last week.  He did ok during the day for the most part.  He did have a few meltdowns where he was searching and asking for one and crying to get it.  I stayed tough and was able to redirect him eventually.  The car was not as easy and he screamed almost  the entire time. He has typically demanded a paci the minute he gets buckled in so that wasn't a huge surprise to me.  As the days progressed, things got easier and easier, even, much to my surprise, naptime.  Nights, however, have been a different story.  He has screamed and cried and continued to get out of bed over and over again for hours at a time some nights.  This is especially hard when he shares a room with Ryker who has to get up for school in the morning.  Thankfully, Ryker can sleep like the dead and was able to fall asleep and stay that way through most of his brother's fits. 

After he finally gave in on Night One.
Night Two he was still up and chewing on his arm at 10 pm.  Thankfully, he finally crashed with me laying in bed with him a little after this.
 
It's gotten better and better as the days have gone on, but nights are still proving to be the tough spot. 
We locked him in the other day and found him asleep on the floor like this when we checked on him later.  He'll the hang of it eventually, I'm sure.  I'm just relieved it's over for the most part and I'm pretty proud of myself for staying strong!
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment