Tuesday, July 30, 2013

First Day of Kindergarten

Today's the big day!  Ryker's first day of kindergarten is here.  It's hard to believe his summer break is over and he's ready for school.  He was so excited last night, he hardly slept.  He was up at 5:20 wondering if it was time to get ready yet!  Daddy had a last minute engagement at work come up and he had to be in early so he got up extra early and got some donuts for breakfast. 
Up, and raring to go!

Picture with Daddy before left for work.

All ready to go

My big boy!

Showing off his backpack.

Rocking on the porch while we waited for the bus.

This is the point I began to cry.  I did really well up to this point.  He saw the bus coming, said, "Bye Mom!", gave me a big hug and a kiss and away he went. 

Then, Cam proceeded to cry and yell, "Bubba!" while running after the bus.  Camden and I both looked like this for a while.  I managed to pull myself together eventually and headed over to the school to meet Ryker and drop off his school supplies.  I beat him there and went out in the hall by the entrance doors to wait for him.  The aides that were making sure all the kindergartners got to the right room said that all the buses were there.  I piped up, "No! No, they're not!"  They were so sweet and immediately got on their walkies to check whether his bus was there and see where he was.  I started to panic a bit when they said his bus had dropped the kids off.  I went back to his class to check if he was there and he still wasn't.  I started imagining him lost in the school somewhere not knowing where to go and I lost it again.  I was so thrilled that he was so excited and I didn't want it to be ruined right after he walked in the door.  The bus driver said she had dropped him off into the hands of a teacher, so I knew he would get there eventually.  I went back to his room to check one more time and there he was, sitting in his seat telling his teacher about the anti-itch cream I put in his backpack in case he needed it.  lol!  I was so relieved!  He turned around and nonchalantly said, "Oh, hey Mom.  Did you know that the bus doesn't have any seat belts?!?!?  But, don't worry, I held on to the seat the entire time."  It cracked me up!  I stayed for a bit with some of the other parents until Cam decided he wanted to sit with Ryker and Ryker tried to hug him and Cam thought he was pushing him away and Camden started screaming.  I took him out in the hall to get him calmed down and by the time I did, most of the other parents had filtered out by then.  I didn't want to go back in and cause a scene and he was perfectly content so I headed out to the van.  I kept busy with a trip to the library and a few errands to keep my mind off of things in the morning.  It was a long day and I was more than ready to see him when he got off the bus. 

He was bursting at the seams to tell me all about his day.  Camden was still asleep so we got some nice one-on-one time to discuss his day.

Then Cam was up and ready to cuddle with his brother.  He really missed him!

Later, while playing in the bonus room, Ryker decided he was going to be the teacher and started writing letters all over the chalkboard and making me tell him what they were.  Too funny!

Ryker passed out pretty quickly after lights out.  Apparently, Camden snuck out of his bed and cuddled up with his brother.   :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment