Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Siesta Scripture Memory Team

I've never been very good at memorizing scripture.  I can tell you the gist of lots of scripture, but not the verse in its entirety, especially word for word.  My other big problem is I can never remember where the verse is found.  I can remember the book most of the time, but that's it.  Doesn't exactly help when you are trying to tell someone else about something and you can't tell them where to go to see it for themselves.  this is a spiritual discipline that I've never devoted any real time or dedication to.  So, I'm changing that!  This year, I joined several other women from my church and around the world in a commitment to memorize 24 scriptures in 2013.  Beth Moore, and her team at Living Proof Ministries started this a while back and this year, we are joining in!  On the 1st and 15th of every month, I will be choosing a verse to memorize.  I'll be sharing it here on the blog.  I want to remember this journey well and will likely be sharing why I chose the verse as well.  This will serve as a bit of prayer journal for me too. :-)  So, this is my first verse:

"Give thanks in all circumstances for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus." - 1 Thessalonians 5:18 NIV

At the end of the year, as I began praying for God to show me some verses that would be good to memorize, this one kept coming up again and again.  Originally, we were set to close on the new house on January 4th.  After all the delays we've had in finding a new home, I was starting to get downright grumpy about it.  I wasn't thrilled to be spending Christmas at my parent's house.  I just wanted to be in our own home making memories with our family, just the four of us.  I have so much to be thankful for, even in less than perfect circumstances.  I have wonderful parents who let us disrupt their lives and home for almost 4 months.  I have the means to purchase a beautiful new home for our family to spend our future Christmases.  I have an amazing husband and two wonderful little boys that fill my heart with such joy and love that it's hard to express.  I need to focus on these things and I need to thank God for everything, even the seemingly "bad" stuff.  If the deal with the last house hadn't been as bad as it was, we wouldn't have gotten this house, and I truly believe this is where God wants us.  His ways are perfect and His timing is perfect too. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment